Vista College is currently hiring Full Time Evening Nursing Instructors at the Killeen, Texas campus.
The schedule for these positions is: Evenings 5:00pm to 10:00pm and weekend clinicals from 6:00am to 6:00pm.
To learn more about Vista College, visit the website at www.vistacollege.edu.
The Nursing Instructors are responsible for the coordination, planning, preparation, presentation, and evaluation of classroom instruction and related activities. The educator facilitates learning, creates a learning environment, and evaluates progression of learning for practical/vocational nursing students. The educator must engage in effective, professional communication with students, faculty members, staff, and administrators. Nursing faculty are expected to engage in continual professional development, remain current with best practices in nursing education, and participate in ongoing activities improve the quality of the nursing program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide didactic, lab, and clinical learning experiences
2. Develop and maintain an environment conducive to the teaching/learning process
3. Teach all classes according to the approved course syllabus using the assigned schedule
4. Ensure each course/class contains content appropriate to the PN/VN and reflects best practices in nursing education and practice
5. Teach one or more subjects within prescribed curriculum using a variety of teaching methodologies to facilitate and engage students in the learning process
6. Facilitate student application of theoretical knowledge to clinical settings
7. Post and maintain office hours for student consultation
8. Inform students about course requirements and other policies
9. Communicate with students in a timely manner
10. Keep students informed about academic progress through prompt grading of assignments and completion of evaluations
11. Maintain timely and accurate student records, including attendance records and grades
12. Participate in the evaluation of student progress and retention
13. Identify student problem areas/clinical areas of concern to the Dean of Nursing
14. Participate in committee, task force, faculty meetings, and other activities as assigned
15. Participate in program, curriculum, and course review activities
16. Recommend textbooks and other instructional materials to the Dean of Nursing
17. Act as a liaison between the college and community clinical agencies
18. Communicate effectively with clinical agency representatives, staff, faculty, and students
19. Maintain knowledge about college and department policies and procedures
20. Demonstrate knowledge of the college and department student learning outcomes, curriculum model, and clinical expectations
21. Remain current with contemporary trends and development in area of expertise and in approaches to nursing education
22. Demonstrate knowledge of safe nursing care, problem-solving skills, effective use of resources, collaboration with other health professionals, and the maintenance of professional standards
23. Perform other duties as may be required and commensurate with job description.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Vocational Nurse Program (Texas)
1. Be a nurse currently licensed or have privileges to practice as a nurse in the State of Texas
2. Have been actively employed in nursing for the past 3 years or have advanced preparation in nursing, nursing education, and/or nursing administration
3. Have had three years of varied nursing experience since graduation
4. Demonstrates evidence of teaching abilities in subject area of teaching responsibility including current knowledge, clinical expertise and safety
5. Didactic faculty must have a ADN; BSN or MSN preferred
6. Clinical faculty must have a VN/PN diploma/certificate; registered nursing degree preferred
7. Must have a valid driver’s license
8. Must have an acceptable driving record
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Ability to evaluate, design, and implement curriculum, testing, and/or teaching methodologies.
• Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues.
• Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Knowledge of teaching methods, curriculum, and education programs.
• Teaching and facilitation skills.
• Ability to teach and control the behavior of students.
• Knowledge of academic and/or vocational education curricula.
• Knowledge of and ability to apply relevant current education methodologies and techniques.
• Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/classroom work environment.
• Light physical effort. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 10 pounds.
• Must be able to stand or walk for entire class periods (approx. 4.5 hours at one time).
• May be required to travel to different sites according to class assignment.